What is the best way to find what I am looking for?
On GearSource.com® we offer both search and browse based shopping experiences. Search is when you type an item name in a search field, click enter and then wade through the results. Browsing is done by clicking a category, then a sub-category and continually drilling down until you locate an item. You can also shop by Brand and shop by Location simply by modifying the filters.
In 'stock item' view, once you find the item you are looking for, all new and used listings are assembled below stock item, on one web page to speed the shopping process up for you. 'Listings' view shows every item for sale individually but they are not grouped like 'stock item' view.
By registering, what am I getting myself into?
First, Gearsource.com® features a Basic Registration, where you provide your name, e-mail address, phone number and a password, which is all that's required to receive our Daily Listings Blast, check out the NeedZone, and some of the other Login Required functions.
To add listings to GearSource.com® or to make purchases, you will need to provide additional information to your account profile. First, you wil need to provide us with a "street" address for shipping purposes as well as a billing address.
We send out a Daily Listings Blast each weekday morning. This email has become a staple of the production industry and has been said to be "as important to my morning, as my first cup of coffee". This email includes the listings added or edited in the past 24 hours plus any new Need Zone listings and News items.
GearSource.com® will ALWAYS protect your privacy, and therefore, will not sell, rent or otherwise distribute your information.
As part of this privacy measure, we have increased our security measures on registrations. As a final step in the registration process you will be required to enter the Captcha code (wonky-looking characters or numbers in a box) and to confirm your registration by clicking the link in the confirmation e-mail we send to the email address you registered with.
The Captcha code and confirmation process, although kind of annoying, is "totally" for security purposes - to keep the bad guys out!
I got a Login Failure how do I reset my password?
Assuming that you’ve already registered on GearSource.com®... if you get an Error stating that the Email or Password doesn’t match our records, click "Click here to sign in as different user" and then click "I forgot my password!” and enter the email address you used to register on GearSource.com® and click Submit. You will receive an email with instructions.
What is 'Give Feedback'?
The Give Feedback icon and link can be found in the lower right corner of each page of GearSource.com®. The feedback system was added to provide our users with the opportunity to submit their feedback (good or bad) and help us facilitate a better e-commerce experience for Buyers and Sellers on GearSource.com®. The feedback is confidential and the reports are only distributed to key GearSource personnel to respond to when appropriate.
In some cases GearSource.com® accept returns as long as the item is returned within 7 days, in its original condition and the return has been approved in advance. For details concerning our return policies, please see our Buyer Terms Agreement by clicking here .
GearSource.com® requires a 48 hour warranty on all items listed. Buyers must be provided with the opportunity to inspect items they have purchased to confirm they are in the condition described in the listing. If you have questions about this policy, please contact our sales department at 866-669-GEAR.
Do I have to pay in advance?
Yes and no.
Yes - all GearSource.com® orders are prepaid but not until we've confirmed availability and shipping details.
No - when you initially place the order, you are not required to pay. This method allows our system to work perfectly for both customers and vendors and keeps our prices down. Because we accept most credit cards or approved checks and Wire Transfers, we are probably the most flexible company in our business. Your payment is held secure until you're happy with your purchase and the vendor has completed his obligation.
As a Vendor, am I paid in advance?
No, we do not pay our vendors in advance though there are some exceptions. The idea is that we act almost like an Escrow, protecting our buyers and sellers. We want to wait until the buyer receives an item before we release their payment to you. To request an alteration to these terms, please contact [email protected] .
Can I pay by credit card, and feel secure?
Yes - your payment is processed using a very secure online payment gateway. In addition, we have fully complied with the PCI Data Security Standard (PCI DSS).
The PCI DSS is a multifaceted security standard that includes "requirements" for security management, policies, procedures, network architecture, software design and other critical protective measures. This comprehensive standard is intended to help GearSource.com® proactively protect our customers' account data.
How do I send a wire transfer?
When you login to pay - you will be given this option, which was sent with the Wire Transfer instructions in the payment request email. You take these instructions to your bank and they will take care of the rest.
If you are buying from a location other than North America, a wire transfer is the best form of payment to use and typically only takes 24-48 hours for us to receive the funds. If you have any questions or require our wire information, please contact [email protected].
Does GearSource.com® accept non US & Canadian credit cards?
The best answer to this questions is "maybe"... in some cases, we will accept a credit card from a foreign country, however, due to the high volume of credit card fraud in certain regions, most foreign credit card payments will require additional approvals and may be declined by management even though they are approved by the bank. This is for our protection, and the protection of our vendors.
As an option, any foreign customer is encouraged to send payment via wire transfer with minimal cost to you. This is quicker and simpler for both parties.
How do I post a listing?
Assuming you have already registered on GearSource.com® and are logged in... here’s how it works:
Step 1 - Shipping information
Select your Shipping Address from Choose Address or Add a new address.
Step 2 - Item name
Enter the name of your item. For example, if you are selling a Martin MAC2000, enter Martin Mac or simply MAC2000.
As you enter the name, our system is searching for a closest match in our Stock Item Database.
A drop-down will appear below the text box and you simply have to click on the the item that matches yours.
Step 3 - Listing details
Provide the actual listing information.
1. Condition - be honest - like new does not mean new and a beat up touring fixture is not Very Good. Entering an unrealistic Condition may get your unit returned back to you.
2. Warranty - if you have warranty remaining, please click this box. Note: GearSource listings must provide a minimum 48 hour warranty from time of delivery to allow buyers to inspect items for deficiencies.
3. Quantity - enter the total # you have available. If you are selling a package of 8 at a "total" cost of $1000 then the Quantity is 1, not 8. However, if you are selling 8 at an individual cost of $200, the Quantity is 8.
Note : if you sell any of the items after your listings are posted, it is VERY important to remember to update your listings accordingly.
4. Description (DO NOT USE THE MANUFACTURER DESCRIPTION) - provide an accurate description of "your" item, for example: the age, number of hours, type of use (touring, rentals, installs, etc), serial numbers, who and what types of companies have owned it, what additional items are included, what if any warranty is still available, etc. Again, honesty is key. If you say something is black, and it arrives purple, it will likely be returned to you.
5. Key words & Abstract Description. Keywords are important and can increase the ranking of the listing page with search engines. The Description provides a concise explanation of the listing's content.
6. Price - all of the pricing is calculated off the Lowest Selling Price. The Lowest Selling Price is only available to registered dealers with GearSource.com®. All other customers will see the Standard Price. The Bottom Line price is what you receive when the item is sold and delivered. The price displayed defaults to
6. Case & Voltage - self-explanatory
7. Images (DO NOT USE MANUFACTURER IMAGES) - provide REAL pictures of your item(s). The better your images, the higher the likelihood we will get it sold. Provide up to 5 images. The only accepted formats are JPG, GIF or PNG. Designate the image you want as your primary image by changing the Display Order. The other 4 images will be displayed as thumbnails below the listing.
Step 4 - Save, preview, confirm
The final page is a Preview of your listing. If you want to change anything, click the "Back" button at the bottom of the page and make any changes you wish to make - click "Save".
If everything is ok, click "Confirm" and your listing will be submitted to our Listings Approval Queue for one of our Listings Specialists to check the validity, Images, etc. and approve the listing before it will go live. During business hours this will happen within an hour - if done after hours or on the weekend, it will be done the next business day. During this approval process, you will NOT have access to the listing, nor will it display on the site.
Once approved, you will receive a confirmation e-mail advising you it has been approved and the listing will display in the appropriate category on GearSource.com®. You will also have access to the listing in your GearSource Account Center for editing the descriptions, adding pictures, changing quantities or prices, etc.
Note: each time you make a change, the listing will be resubmitted to our Listings Approval Queue and the change won't take effect until it has been approved.
Is there a cost for me to list my gear?
No. Listings on GearSource.com® are completely FREE! In the listing process, you will establish the selling price, which will include a commission for the sale of your item. We receive our fee when the listing sells. Not only do we not charge for listings, we also spend a lot of time and effort marketing your item for free!
Is there a limit to the number of listings I can place?
No, absolutely not. We want to become your inventory partner and are here to help you anytime you have items to move. You can upload your entire inventory and then "manage" the items using our online tools! For larger inventories, we recommend you sign up for the GearSource Inventory Managent API. What this does is tie your existing inventory system to your GearSource listings profile, allowing you push things to GearSource by simply toggling an item in your system.
If you would like more information on how GearSource can help you manage your inventory, contact Henry Kones - 1.561.296.9560 - [email protected].
What is the difference between an item listing and a stock item?
Our new listings system is based on a backbone database that we call our "Stock Item Database". It includes every piece of gear that anyone might offer for sale. Vendors add their Item Listings under that Stock item. So when you visit a stock item, you may see numerous listings within that Stock item with price ranges, conditions, etc... making for a very unique and simple shopping experience.
What is a NeedZone Listing?
The NeedZone is a special area we've created for items that you may be looking for, but do not see available on the site. You can post a listing, similar to a "want ad" and wait for our users to respond with their items that may match your need. If you're browsing the NeedZone, and see a listing for something you have sitting in your inventory, you have 3 options. 1) Call us toll free 2) Email us 3) You can click on that need, and either suggest your listing (if it's already posted for sale on GearSource.com®) or add your new listing. This will send an automated response to the person who place the NeedZone Listing on our site.
What are my obligations as a seller/vendor to Gear-Source?
Below is a shortened version of your obligation as a seller. It is not meant to replace our User Agreement , which is the legal document you sign before listing an item. Please review our complete User Agreement for all the details.
1. You must own the equipment you are listing, free of any liens.
2. You must warrant the condition on the equipment you are listing by selecting the appropriate condition and write a good item description.
3. Even if you select the "No Warranty" button on a listing, the buyer still has a 48 business-hour inspection period on the piece of equipment you sold.
4. It's your obligation as a vendor to resolve any issues the customer may have regarding functionality of the gear (unless otherwise noted). You are also responsible for the freight cost of resolving any issues.
5. Pack your items for shipment well! Common sense applies here but it's your responsibility to pack your equipment as if it's going across the country or overseas because often times it is.
6. If you are selling large ticket items, photograph the items before they leave your warehouse. Any large item packed in roadcases with wheels will need to be placed on a palette or have the wheels removed to avoid freight damage.
7. Freight claims are rare but they do happen. All your items ship fully insured but we are at the mercy of the freight companies. Gear-Source does not assume any financial obligation for freight claims but will work with you to get any issues resolved.
8. Once your item is shipped you will need to bill Gear-Source for the amount indicated on the purchase order. This will help you get paid quicker.
Fully manage your own listings
Manage all listings, pricing, availability, etc. in your personalized "My Account" area.
Full Service Selling
We are a ‘Full Service’ company and help with everything from pricing to pickup arrangements and documentation
Better exposure for your gear
We have Global reach with staff in North American and European locations, plus expertise in Asia, Middle East and South America. Additionally, we send the industry’s only Daily Listings Update, exposing your latest gear to the biggest buyers.
Sell almost anything related to professional sound, lighting, video and staging (plus a few others!) One site does it all.
We won’t ask you to dramatically lower your prices unless we "really" think you should !
Full Service Purchasing
We are a ‘Full Service’ company - we handle shipping, document preparation, online payment and more.
Escrow Style Purchasing
We utilize a superior payment collection process to eliminate the potential fraud found in other ‘marketplaces’
Knowledgeable Sales People
‘We Know Gear’ - industry experts from Paris to Palm Beach to help answer your questions
Complete selection of stage products
We carry everything you need for lighting & video, pro audio, rigging, trussing, staging, parts.
What is the order process at Gear-Source for customers?
Below is a shortened version of your obligation as a buyer, it is not meant to replace our User Agreement , which is the legal agreement you accept when you register. Please review our complete User Agreement for the details.
1. We pride ourselves on processing your order as quickly as possible. When you place an order on GearSource.com® this indicates your intent to buy the item. While you are under no obligation to pay for an item, once you have placed it in the cart and checkout out, we'd prefer you call a salesperson at Gear-Source if you are just out "kicking tires". We'd be happy to help you with whatever information you are looking for - 866-669-GEAR.
2. Once you have submitted an order, it may take up to 72 hours to verify that the equipment is available and to calculate freight on an order. Since Gear-Source sell's items as small as a microphone or as large as a semi truck, it's impossible to provide a freight calculation at checkout. If you have questions call us - 866-669-GEAR.
3. We accept the following forms of payment: Mastercard, Visa, American Express, Wire transfer and (with pre-authorization) Checks. If you are a new customer and are purchasing a large ticket item, Gear-Source will require you to provide additional information to verify your identity
4. When you receive your order, you have 48 business hours to inspect the item and report any issues. Remember you are buying pre-owned gear so inspect it carefully for damage and check that it works according to the description.
Credit Card Fees
Prices displayed on Gear Source reflect the discounted "cash" price. Credit card users may be subject to a slightly higher price.
We insure all shipments.
Want to Buy Section
Post any item into our NeedZone (wanted items) and within days, get results!
Superior Shopping Experience
We have superior website features including; listing and stock item views, numerous sorting filters, shop by brand.
No, we do not pay our vendors in advance. The idea is that we act almost like an Escrow, protecting our buyers, and sellers. We wait until the buyer receives and inspects an item before we release his payment to you. To request an alteration to these terms, please contact [email protected] .
I have received an order inquiry, but it's asking me for Measurements and Weight. What for?
GearSource typically handles all of the shipping calculations and arrangements... therefore, we require accurate measurements and weights on all of the items being shipped.
We highly recommend you inlcude this information when you enter the listing into our system. Otherwise, you will receive an email every time there is an order on one of your listings, asking you to confirm these details.